…through sports, to change lives affected by disabilities.
We envision a world where disabilities are not barriers.
We embrace volunteerism; We foster community; We strive for excellence; We listen to and learn from everyone; We nurture personal development through high-quality training and instruction; We strive for diversity.
As a chapter of Disabled Sports USA, New England Disabled Sports is dedicated to the following principles:
- To provide opportunities for individuals with disabilities to develop independence, confidence, and fitness through participation in community sports, recreation and educational programs.
- To ensure that every person, regardless of ability, has an equal opportunity to participate in sports and recreation in their community.
- That sports instruction should be conducted in a carefully planned educational setting utilizing trained professionals and volunteers, the appropriate adaptive sports equipment, at an accessible venue appropriate to skill level.
- That participation in sports, recreation and physical fitness is an integral part of the rehabilitation process. Through sports, people with disabilities increase self‐confidence, independence and mobility.
- That participation in sports and recreation promotes an active lifestyle and social development and increases prospects for education and employment.
- That activities are conducted, whenever feasible, in public recreation facilities and venues, to provide maximum interaction with the general public in an integrated environment.
- That people with disabilities are recruited to fill leadership, staff and volunteer positions in the organization; to provide opportunities for personal growth and employment, as well as positive role models for other disabled participants.
- That the organization should conduct its activities in a businesslike manner, with competent governance and sound financial practices.