…through sports & recreation, to enhance lives affected by disabilities.
We envision a world where disabilities are not barriers.
We embrace volunteerism; We foster community; We strive for excellence; We listen to and learn from everyone; We nurture personal development through high-quality training and instruction; We strive for diversity.
As a chapter of Move United, New England Disabled Sports is dedicated to the following principles:
- To provide opportunities for individuals with disabilities to develop independence, confidence, and fitness through participation in community sports, recreation and educational programs.
- To ensure that every person, regardless of ability, has an equal opportunity to participate in sports and recreation in their community.
- That sports instruction should be conducted in a carefully planned educational setting utilizing trained professionals and volunteers, the appropriate adaptive sports equipment, at an accessible venue appropriate to skill level.
- That participation in sports, recreation and physical fitness is an integral part of the rehabilitation process. Through sports, people with disabilities increase self‐confidence, independence and mobility.
- That participation in sports and recreation promotes an active lifestyle and social development and increases prospects for education and employment.
- That activities are conducted, whenever feasible, in public recreation facilities and venues, to provide maximum interaction with the general public in an integrated environment.
- That people with disabilities are recruited to fill leadership, staff and volunteer positions in the organization; to provide opportunities for personal growth and employment, as well as positive role models for other participants with a disability.
- That the organization should conduct its activities in a businesslike manner, with competent governance and sound financial practices.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging at NEDS
At New England Disabled Sports our mission is through sports & recreation, to enhance lives affected by disabilities. We embrace volunteerism; we foster community; we strive for excellence; we listen to and learn from everyone; we nurture personal development through high-quality training and instruction; we strive for diversity.
Aligned with our values, a committee has been created to focus on our value of striving for diversity. Our Diversity Equity and Inclusion team is committed to ensuring NEDS programming is intentionally and authentically inclusive for people of varying abilities, races, ethnicities, identities and backgrounds who meet the Essential Eligibility Criteria. We encourage input from students, coaches, and visitors who would like to share their perspectives as we continue to ensure that NEDS is an inclusive place for those living with disabilities and identifying as BIPOC and LGBTQA.
To learn more or to be a part of this work, please contact Courtney McKenna Holub at [email protected].